Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A look back: My very first fondant cake


After watching too many cake shows on tv and saying to myself "I could totally do that," I decided to actually go ahead and give it a try. The cake, buttercream frosting, and marshmallow fondant were all made from scratch, with help from a friend.

We quickly discovered that making fondant can be a little messy if you're not careful, which resulted in the following:

Yes, that is half-mixed, sticky fondant on the dog's back. To be fair though, she was standing right underneath us. Perhaps she was hoping some food might fall on the floor? Well, I suppose she was right.

The theme of this cake combined my mother's love of baskets with Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October, in case you didnt know). I'm quite pleased with overall result, especially since this was my first time decorating with fondant. I plan on making another cake this coming October with a pink theme and will be sure to post the results. :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome cake! Best wishes to your mom and all the Cancer Awareness walkers.

    ReplyDelete