Tuesday, May 31, 2011

College Graduation Cake

My boyfriend's sister graduated from college this weekend. As a gift to her, I made this cake for her graduation party. The inside of the cake is half vanilla, half chocolate. The frosting is buttercream, and the silhouettes are edible sugar paper.

The idea for the people came from a cake I'd seen on wilton.com. My boyfriend and I used their template as a stencil to cut the people out of the sugar sheet with an x-acto knife, and then placed them on the cake. The biggest challenge of this cake was baking it with two different flavors. It was easy enough to pour into the pan and separate, however one unexpected problem was that the chocolate side ended up cooking faster than the vanilla. It was hard to balance cooking the vanilla cake all the way and trying to not to overcook the chocolate side. Unfortunately, the chocolate side was a little more dry than I would have liked. Hopefully the fact that the cake looked so pretty makes up for it a little bit. Right?

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the next day that they'd saved leftover pieces of cake, so I'd say it was a success.

    And thus ends a very busy month!

    ReplyDelete