Sunday, October 3, 2010

The wonderful things about Fall

In honor of Fall and all of the glorious things that the season brings, I decided to write a "song". Here it is: (to the tune of ‘My Favorite Things’ from the Sound of Music)

Picking ripe apples, Food flavored like pumpkin,
Giant corn mazes, And leaf piles to jump in
Wearing wool sweaters to not be freezing
Fall is about all these wonderful things

Witches and goblins and cobwebs from spiders
Knitting while drinking some hot apple cider
Giving kids candy with each doorbell ring
Fall is about all these wonderful things

Haunted hay rides, donning masks on Halloween,
Trees ranging in shades of red, orange and green
Warm roasted turkey with drumsticks and wings
Fall is about all these wonderful things

Jack-o-Lanterns
Trick-or-Treating
And the Fryeburg Fair
There are so many wonderful Fall things
I might have a love affair


My apologies for getting that tune stuck in your head. At least I spared you from actually having to hear me sing it. You’re welcome.


And now, to the food:
Mini Pumpkin-Chocolate chip whoopie pies with Maple butter cream icing



Pumpkin is one of the best flavors of Fall. In fact, so many people love it that, during the time I wanted to buy canned pumpkin, there was a pumpkin shortage. This may or may not have resulted in my driving to three different grocery stores in order to find the stuff. Because I was THAT determined to make something pumpkin flavored. Determined… stubborn….
Whatever.

The savory flavor of the cake-like cookie of the whoopie pie is balanced with the sweetness of the maple icing. The chocolate chips added a twist to the pumpkin cookie, both in texture and in flavor. Though they are small in size, these whoopie pies are so decadent that one is enough to satisfy. Eating more may put you at risk of slipping into a sugar coma or completely rotting your teeth. Just kidding. Kind of.

3 comments:

  1. Allison, awesome looking treats!

    Couple of questions:
    1. Do you do the pictures or does Alex?
    2. Is Alex getting fat yet?

    Hahaha! Love the song too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chad,
    to answer your questions:
    1. I think I've taken nearly all of the pictures posted. I know a few things about photography as well.
    2. hahah I'm not forcing food down his throat. If he gains/has gained weight, I take no responsibility for that.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice song, Allison. Yes, it's now stuck in my head.
    I'm enjoying your blog and all the yummy foods. Those whoopie pies you brought us were quite memorable!
    (Alex's mom)

    ReplyDelete